Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Corner of Contention

So, here's the deal: The new stairs to the basement pass under the end of the kitchen space. It's a space roughly 40" x40". The stair pass through at an angle, with the highest point about knee-high.

Option 1:

Make it sort of a pantry, you might be able to step in with one foot on the right side, onto a raised step to reach items in back.

Advantages: Hidden storage, reuse a door that got evicted from the bathroom, it's framed this way now

Disadvantages: Closes off the corner with a solid sheetrock wall.


Option 2:

False-front the bottom cabinet doors. Drawer space at the top, probably a bit deeper than shown here. Do standard depth granite in front, with an extra-deep upper cabinet behind. Possibly an appliance garage on the surface level.

Advantages: Appliance garage, drawer space, visually matches the rest of the kitchen. Not a solid sheetrock bump-out

Disadvantages: It's framed the other way, another cabinet for Mick to build, could be hard to reach items in upper cabinet (like the angel food cake pan that might get used once a year!).



So, what do you think? Leave a comment if you have an opinion!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like option 2 better. I think!!!!

JJ said...

I am all about counter space, so I prefer the second option. It will also make the room look bigger, I think. Either way is fine tho.

Anonymous said...

I agree, more counter space! I have one of those tall deep cabinets too, and like you, store all of my once-a-year stuff up there. works out fine.

Anonymous said...

I like the second option as well. It gives the kitchen a cleaner look and is basically doing the same as option one.

Anonymous said...

second option too!

Anonymous said...

Definitely #2. It looks much more integrated and I think you'll love an appliance garage. I think in the long run, it will be definitely worth the extra effort. Cool idea!

Btw.. this is Connie. I can't remember my username and password right now!

JJ said...

The second I read 'integrated' I knew it was Connie. Ms. Brainy Brain.

Looks like option 2 has the lead. What does Mick think, and does his vote overpower ours?

Anonymous said...

Skye Here...I'm going for option two. Makes everything flow nicer. Besides, when you open the pantry door, no one can come in to the kitchen until you shut it. Can you imagine kids running around and trying to shut the door while you're in there and then you get shoved in and get hurt, start cursing and swearing...not pretty. Don't even think about the pantry. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks all. I actually came up with a slight modification to #2 that I like better. I think Mick is in the process of conceding! We're meeting with the kitchen designer today at noon, and have promised the electrician a decision by noon.

Anonymous said...

I like option # 2 as well!

sunni