I'm enjoying having access to all the kitchen gadgets that I've accumulated.
Simple things, like a blender and a pie plate, and an oven.
Oddities that I may never use -- tins to make your own taco salad shells, cannoli or sandbakkel. Dividers to make a checkerboard cake. A square angel food cake pan. It goes on and on...
I'm actually cooking from recipes again, and it's fun!
I made this when my parents visited recently. I combined a few different recipes, and have noted changes at the end that I'd do if I make it again.
Mango Cream Pie
Crust:
10 lowfat graham crackers, crushed
2 T sugar
3 T butter, melted (substitute lowfat if you have it)
dash cinnamon
Place in 9-10" pie plate and press into a crust. Bake 375 for 7 minutes.
Filling:
1 c sugar
1/4 c cornstarch
1/4 t salt
2 1/2 c ripe mango (reserve 1/2 c) - I cut up three, and it was pretty close
3 egg yolks
8 oz "less fat" cream cheese
1/2 c reduced fat sour cream
1 T lime juice
lime zest
In blender or food processer, place 2 c mango, cream cheese, and sour cream. Blend until smooth.
In heavy saucepan, stir together sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in mango mixture.
Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Then cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
Stir 1 cup of hot mixture into the egg yolk. Return to saucepan and bring mixture to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
Stir in lime juice, lime zest, and 1/2 c reserved mango, chopped fine. Pour onto crust.
Cool on wire rack for 1 hour.
Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.
Garnish with fresh raspberries.
Notes
The recipe above is as I made it -- put together from several recipes I looked at. I mixed lime zest in at the same time as the lime juice. I wouldn't do this again. The green flecks were a little weird! I might use it as a garnish on top... maybe.
If I do it again, I'd probably stir in more chunky mango at the end for texture.
Garnish ideas:
If your family is into Cool Whip, you could easily top the whole pie with that.
Fresh blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, mango.
1 day ago
1 comment:
I need pictures!!
Post a Comment